Monday, October 26, 2009

Settling In America

After two and a half months living in Austin Texas, I have settled.

I have navigated through the bureaucratic nightmare of immigration and social security. I have managed two and a half months of an overload of reading academic books and scholarly journals. I have learned how to wade through pages and pages of complex arguments both with my sanity, and a better understanding of what I've read, in tact. I have found a small group of friends who I support and who support me as we endure the trials and tribulations of graduate school.

I am a resident of Austin and a student at the University of Texas.

There is always something lacking. More here than when I lived in Toronto. I lack a community outside of the one I have at school. My friends in my program are invaluable, but I need something beyond academic discourse and departmental gossip. What I lack is that community of gay men, academics, artists, and friends with whom I personal history that I had in Toronto.

But I can't have everything, can I? Graduate school and a community I am proud to call my home?

But I've settled. I've settled for Austin. For now...

1 comment:

  1. i think we can settle in the moment when we know it's feeding a life beyond settling. if that makes sense...
    i miss you.

    ReplyDelete