Thursday, August 13, 2009

The Great American Adventure Begins


She hardly seems a guard; more like a host with administrative duties.

She calmly attends to my immigration paperwork. Her pleasant, almost unofficial demeanour contrasts the sense of urgency and anxiety that accompanies the fear I feel. I am constantly haunted by previous bureaucratic mishaps which resulted in administrative nightmares and inconvenient delays. But after a moment of silence, which was probably serene for the border agent as she habitually fills out forms and photocopies passports, but was cold and nervous as I imagine being denied entrance to the United States under my student visa, she approached the long reception counter where I have been standing, waiting, biting my nails.

She politely instructs me regarding the proceedures required when leaving and returning to the United States under my student visa. The she sends me on my way with an earnest "Good Luck!".

Unlike being one of thousands who cross the border from Canada into the United States at the various crossings in Ontario, I feel like a person, not a threat, as I enter from Saskatchewan into North Dakota.


She welcomes me with sincere warmth into the heartland of America.

4 comments:

  1. Oh Belly,

    Don't stress, relax, everything is going to be alright!

    Mish bear is already conceiving plans for the next silly adventures with his Belly! You thought Misha-bear-the-sponge's book On the TOP of the world:-) (and I mean ON the TOP when I say that) was the silliest? Well, you just wait a little!

    And you are right, unlike people from Saskatchewan, we, ontarians are a real threat to the United States:

    -Because why?
    -Because we are GAY AND FABULOUS!

    ReplyDelete
  2. And.... I just registered the first comment on your new BLOG!

    So nice to be your first one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. border crossings always scare the crap out of me. like i think that maybe i'm a criminal of some sort but i've had a memory lapse the moment i cross the border and therefore haven't taken proper precautions to hide the evidence.
    miss you!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hate crossing the border - I always feel like I'm doing something wrong!! I look forward to reading about your adventures

    ReplyDelete