Saturday, August 22, 2009

Kansas, Oklahoma

I am sent to a small grocer down the highway to get change for the car wash. It’s scorchingly hot outside, but in the car the air conditioning is cool, so the jeans I’m wearing have been rolled up into three-quarter length shorts. Kansas, or Oklahoma (I can’t remember if this town is on one side of the state line or the other) feels like the desert.

“Fag!”, young guy yells from the window of his out of place low-end sports car.

The bigotry and hate that is stereotypically associated with the ‘redneck’ states of Kansas and Oklahoma proves accurately placed.

I tell my friends about this episode when I return with the change for the car wash.

“How dare they insult you!”

“It’s not really an insult,” I respond (cause after all – I am a fag), “but it’s full of hate.”

Back in the car driving down the highway, the local radio station plays an ad for a healthcare provider. “The enemy wants you to be weak”, it says, but such-and-such healthcare provided will keep you strong.

The ads are followed by a twangy country tune, with inane, but ironically apt lyrics: “God is great. Beer is good. People are crazy.”

1 comment: